Monday, March 21, 2011

Do You Have An Emergency Kit?

We just felt an earthquake here. I was lying down, with a hot compress on my back as I have been feeling back pains since last night (I know, I'm such a lola!), reading tweets on my iPad when I felt the bed shake. Stunned, I put down the iPad on the bed, stood up and thought I should gather the kids and bring us to safety. I didn't bring anything with me, not even my phone. When I went down, there was no panic and the kids were actually about to watch Barney on DVD. I thought it was just me until ABS-CBN's TV Patrol had a breaking news advisory about it. Wow, I am so not prepared and alert enough for this.



After the Typhoon Ondoy last September 2009, the recent earthquake and tsunami tragedies in Japan and recently learning that we live near the trail of the Marikina Valley falult line (this is sooooo scary), it's high time that I prepare an emergency kit for my family. Here is my list:
  • Bottled water - at least 1 big bottle for each family member
  • Canned food with easy to open lids - no salty food
  • Plastic spoons and forks
  • Multivitamins
  • Antibiotics
  • Antacids
  • Anti-allergy medicine
  • Presciption drugs that you and your family cannot be without
  • Mosquito repellent
  • Sunscreen
  • Alcohol
  • Band-aids
  • Swiss Army Knife
  • Clothes - for each of your family member, don't forget to pack underwear
  • Flashlight and batteries
  • Candles and matches - in case you run out of batteries for your flashlight
  • Soap
  • Toothbrush & toothpaste
  • Tissue paper
  • Sanitary napkins for the women and diapers if you have a baby
  • Umbrella
  • Fully charged mobile phone or extra charger
  • Whistle - so you can call attention to yourself when your stuck somewhere
  • Battery powered radio and batteries
  • Extra cash
  • Light blanket - to keep your kids warm
A friend also shared that after Ondoy hit our country, his mom prepared all important documents (land titles, etc.) in one envelope and placed it somewhere she can easily access so she can just grab it in case they need to evacuate. And they also agreed that in case they are not together when a national emergency happens, they will meet in one place and will wait for all family members there. Very smart!

So far, I only have alcohol and band-aids. I still have a lot to buy. But I will start packing the stuff that are readily available like our clothes and light blanket. I just hope we will never have to use the emergency kit. But if needed, I hope I won't panic and just remember to bring it.

And also grab my cellphone. I still can't believe I didn't bring anything with me a while ago.

When shopping for emergency food, don't forget to check expiry dates. Also, regularly check your stash and replace soon-to-expire goods.

Browse the web for different emergency kit lists and take a moment to think of other things that you and your family might need and add it to your list.

Please share what you have in your kits. And be safe everyone!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment